Tuesday, August 21, 2018

How this blog name came to be

I've been wanting to start a personal blog for a while now, and didn't want it to be an "identity marketing blog" attached to my name. I spent all of yesterday brainstorming possible blog titles, and in the evening I asked George, "If we were to name our house, what could it be?" He suggested "Cattail Cottage" pretty quickly, and then he said, "But we can't name our 1980s house a 'cottage.' "

I said, "Why not?" With its fake Tudor look, to which we've added shutters and window boxes filled with red impatiens, it's more cottage than anything else. It's definitely not a manor or a lodge, and we're not opening an inn or bed and breakfast. Plus, I love the cottage decorating style so "cottage" it is.

I liked that Cattail Cottage tied in both our backyard pond and the house, and I love the alliteration. So, again, Cattail Cottage it is. And this will serve as my journal, where I intend to write about whatever strikes my fancy. A lot of times, that is the natural world that surrounds our pond--whether birds or otters or the now-teenaged fawns that have been running around lately, or the apple trees and native plants in the yard. My home and family have my heart, and are always my top priority and value, so that will be my most likely focus.

I haven't been writing much lately--for about 4 years, in fact, since I started editing the writing of others. That tends to exhaust my word work, and it has been a whirlwind four years of busy-ness working as a copyeditor, moving houses, sending a daughter to college, getting a son through his post-high school program, and so much more. But I miss writing, and I want to do it just for myself. If you read here and enjoy it, all the better.

Until next time,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

George saw the otter for the first time yesterday! I've seen the otter in our backyard pond many times. The most famous was when I saw h...